Lean on Me

Posted on March 14,2013 by shansenmspp

The well-known adage "It takes a village to raise a child...." has been running through my head recently. Although at my field site, it's more like it takes an inclusion facilitator, a guidance counselor, a school psychologist and her intern (e.g. me), a speech-language pathologist, a special educator, and a social worker to help many of the kids graduate high school. Some of the students I work with are balancing myriad challenges - chaotic family situations, mental health concerns (particularly anxiety), learning disabilities, asperger's, language disorders, etc. For these students to make it through high school academically and emotionally, multiple avenues of support are necessary. I feel privileged to work in a district that provides these resources, and ache for the students who face similar compounding obstacles but do so without a network of communicating, supportive adults. Two of the students I work with have been on the waiting list for outside mental health care for months; in the meantime, sometimes I start to feel like the Lone Ranger. But then I remind myself that there is a village (or at least a school community) that's got my back and we're all in this together.