Starting with Intention

Posted on January 03,2013 by jackieqmspp

Happy New Year to all! I hope everyone had a good holiday season with their loved ones and that you can come back to school and work feeling refreshed.

One thing that I've been thinking about with this new year is how I want 2013 to be the year that I'm intentional in the things I do. Resolutions generally don't work for me because I lose focus pretty easily, but that's not what this is. This is more of a life motto. This word, "intentional", will be the one that I doodle on my homework, hang up around my house, etc. It's my word for 2013.

For me, being intentional means focusing on the task at hand, whatever it may be. When it's time for me to do my homework, I'll set my phone aside, turn my study playlist on, and get down to business. When my husband and I have time to spend together, I'm going to focus on him and only him, forsaking my phone and the Internet and whatever other distractions may come up. I pride myself on being able to multi-task, but I've noticed that multi-tasking comes at a price. Nothing I do while multi-tasking is my best work and I don't want to be known for doing things half-heartedly.

photo (24)

This year, I'm going to be intentional with the time that I have and put everything into my homework when it's time for that, my field project when it's that time, and my relationships when it's that time. I'll let myself wake up slowly and start the day with a cup of coffee and some journaling, but then I will get down to business and be intentional with my time in 2013.