And My Internship Search is Over!

Posted on April 01,2012 by agareaumspp

Two months and four interviews later, I have finally secured an internship for next year! I will be interning in the pediatric behavioral medicine department at the Dimock Center in Roxbury and I couldn’t be more excited! I’m going to be doing individual therapy with children and adolescents in an outpatient setting who are referred from the primary care department. I’m most excited about the opportunity to work in conjunction with the primary care department, as it will be a great opportunity for me to gain experience working in a healthcare setting. As I have previously mentioned, I am deeply interested in health psychology and I am thrilled about the opportunity to gain experience in the field.

Not only am I super excited about my placement for next year, but I am so relieved to be done with the application process! It has been a long journey finding placements, both for this year and next, but I am really happy with how everything has turned out. Just to give you guys an idea of what the process is like, we started researching potential sites last November and had our sites chosen that we wanted to apply to by December. Over break, we wrote our cover letters, gathered our letters of recommendation, and had all of our applications sent out by early-mid January. Then the waiting game began…Some sites got back to students relatively quickly, and some sites are just going through the interview process now.

I heard back from sites starting in late January and I went on a handful of interviews throughout the months of February and March. I was offered placements at some of those sites, but none of them quite felt like the fit I was hoping for. While it was hard to say no to sites when I didn’t have another option in front of me, I knew that I was searching for something different so I made the decision to hold out. Eventually, I heard back from my two top choices and after interviewing at the Dimock Center I was certain that I would be able to gain the experience that I was hoping for. So now that the search is over, I can kick back, relax, and enjoy the rest of the semester!