Self-Care

Posted on March 14,2012 by sskeenmspp

"Self-care" is a bit of a buzz word around MSPP. The term, which is fairly self explanatory, refers to the activities we all do to to maintain our physical and emotional health. Self-care activities range from going to the gym to engaging in a favorite hobby to buying oneself the occasional indulgence. Professors, students, and even Dr. Mervyn, our dean of students, talk regularly about the importance of self-care.

Until this year, I haven't given much my self-care much thought. I've always enjoyed exercising, and I find that if I get regular exercise I sleep better, feel happier, and have more energy throughout the day. So, I figured, as long as I ate a relatively healthy diet, exercised regularly, and indulged in the occasional splurge purchase, I was covering all bases. Unfortunately, I've fallen off the wagon a bit lately.

About a month ago, my gym closed, and I have yet to switch to a new gym. I've found one that is convenient to my house, but I need to go over there and sign up. Also, I've been running around a lot, and in my haste to get out the door, I usually forget to bring food for myself. So, I've mostly been eating "lazy foods" that require no preparation, such as cans of mixed nuts, apples, and energy bars, and I've actually dropped a few pounds (which in my case is not healthy). Fortunately, however, I have been able to indulge myself a bit with some fun new purchases, so that aspect of my self-care is still going strong.

The good news is that my recent experiences have shown me the value of self-care. Now that I'm not exercising or eating healthily, I feel pretty rotten. I'm sleepy pretty much all the time, but I also feel jittery at times (I think from the lack of exercise). I've had enough of this, and have a renewed motivation to take care of these issues. After I finish this post, I'm going to immeditely call my local YMCA and arrange a "test" workout. If I haven't found a new gym by the time of my next entry, please feel free to nag me and give me hell for it.