We named the dog Indiana

Posted on March 07,2012 by sthurstonmspp

Who has seen Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade? There is a terrifying moment when Indy is traversing the treacherous path to the Holy Grail and is required to take a leap of faith: despite a horrifyingly large and bottomless chasm Indy closes his eyes and places his [best] foot forward- and finds that instead of plunging to his death he finds solid footing on a thin rock bridge that had blended perfectly with his surroundings in a mean feat of visual deception. Indy breathes a rather shaky sigh of relief, continues on his quest, and finds the humble carpenter’s cup in time to save his father.
Lately I have felt that my own path forward seems daunting and, at times, impossible. Trying something new, with so much at stake for the child involved, can be overwhelming. However, upon gathering my courage and taking the step forward, I have always found that, between MSPP and my supervisor, I am in fact on solid ground. Last week I completed an assessment on a young boy, and was asked by my supervisor to write the accompanying report. In the initial moment of panic, all I could think of was “But I don’t have a class on report writing until next week!” But, I smiled and said “I’ll give it a shot” and found to my surprise that all of the information gleaned from a compilation of my classes thus far and reports reviewed with my supervisor, I had a handle on the process and language involved. My supervisor and I reviewed my completed report and found, to my delight, that it required only a few minor tweaks.
The consistency with which I find myself capable of previously unattempted tasks has made me confident that I will be well prepared for a career in school psychology.