C.A.R.E.

Posted on February 23,2012 by agareaumspp

This April I will be going on a service trip to New Orleans as part of MSPP’s C.A.R.E. (communities assisting relief efforts) team. Earlier this fall I attended an information session about C.A.R.E. and after learning more about opportunities to help a community in need, I decided to apply. I have done a lot of local volunteer work with children, but I have never gone on a service trip. The idea of being able to visit a new community and learn about their culture while helping to rebuild their society sounded incredibly rewarding to me and I am so excited for our trip!

While in New Orleans, we will be volunteering with a variety of organizations to help those in need and to help the community continue to rebuild after Hurricane Katrina. Even though Katrina hit in 2005, the damage to New Orleans was so severe that the community is still struggling to get back on its feet. Just to give you an idea of how destructive Katrina was, here are some quick facts:

Hurricane Katrina was one of the five deadliest hurricanes in U.S. history and resulted in the death of just over 1,800 people. Additionally, it was the costliest natural disaster to date and the estimated cost of damage was 81 billion dollars. I included a picture below depicting the damage of a woman walking through her childhood neighborhood.

Based on these facts it is easy to understand why New Orleans is in need of assistance and I am thrilled at the opportunity to lend a helping hand.

While the trip isn’t until April, we have been busy fundraising and so far our efforts have been pretty successful! Last week we hosted a student social at a restaurant close to MSPP and we were thrilled with the turn out. A lot of students came out to enjoy some food and good music to support our cause. We have also had bake sales and we have some more fundraising events coming up this spring.

I have included our fundraising link below and I urge you all to check it out!

http://www.crowdrise.com/msppcareneworleanstrip2012/fundraiser/msppcare