Kicking Off the Second Semester

Posted on January 15,2012 by agareaumspp

After an incredibly restful and relaxing break, I feel refreshed and ready to take this coming semester by storm. After one week back I already feel in the swing of things and I’m looking forward to getting settled into my new schedule. I am most excited that I have FINALLY secured a new practicum placement! My original placement didn’t end up working out, as it was a new site for MSPP students and they weren’t able to meet the practicum requirements. After searching high and low I have finally finalized my new placement and I’m super excited about starting this week. I will be splitting my time between two sites: a trauma clinic for children and a group home for adolescent males. At the trauma clinic I will be doing in-home therapy with a master’s level clinician and at the group home I will be working with adolescent males who are transitioning from the foster care system to independent living. While it is unique that I will be at two sites, I am looking forward to the range of experiences I will gain and the diversity of exposure I will receive to working with different populations. I must say, I am most excited about working with children at the trauma clinic as that is a population of great interest to me, but I think working at the group home will be a very rewarding experience as well because it will definitely be a challenge as I have never worked with adolescent males before. More to come on how these experiences go!

Also, now that I have completed my first week of classes I am really excited about starting a new course load. This semester I am taking Substance Abuse and Treatment, Psychological Appraisal and Assessment, Adult Psychopathology, Expressive Arts Therapy, and my Seminar. While I am excited, I am nervous about the workload. I am actually taking Adult Psychopathology blended to accommodate for my practicum, which means that I will primarily be taking that course online over the span of seven weeks. There is a lot of material to cover for that course, so I’m a little apprehensive about taking it blended, but after meeting with my class last week to go over the syllabus I feel a little better. I took all traditional courses last semester, so blended courses are new to me, but after speaking with several classmates who have taken blended courses I feel encouraged that I will be fine. It will be a lot of reading and I will definitely have to buckle down for the next seven weeks, but after that I will have one less course for the rest of the semester!

For now, I’m going to hit the books, finish applying for second year internship placements, and get ready to start my new practicum this week! So far this semester is off to a great start! Also, I thought I would share a picture with you guys from an MSPP night out this weekend. To celebrate being back and starting the new semester a bunch of us hit the town on Friday and had a blast!