School Psychology Through the Looking Glass

Posted on January 12,2012 by shansenmspp

Alice: Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?

The Cat: That depends a good deal on where you want to get.
Alice: I don't much care where…

The Cat: Then it doesn't much matter which way you go.

Alice: …so long as I get somewhere.

The Cat: Oh, you're sure to do that, if only you walk long enough.
(Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll).

Camp Counselor. Dishwasher. Clinic Receptionist. Babysitter. Language Teacher. Secretary. Researcher. Tutor. Program Coordinator. Prior to starting my program at MSPP, I had taken on a variety of roles in my past jobs. Sometimes it felt like I would never settle down into one job or professional career path. At the end of last semester we learned a term for this time in Lifespan Development – emerging adulthood. While the majority of my classmates were psychology majors and were therefore familiar with this phrase, I had only heard of the “quarter-life crisis,” when 20-somethings find themselves confused, overwhelmed, and frustrated by the seemingly endless possible life trajectories ahead of them.

But looking back, this time in my life was really not a crisis at all. I had many jobs, I took several wrong turns and experienced a few false starts, and yes, moved back in with my parents more than once. However, I find that the skills I acquired in all of these many capacities to be useful in my current role as a student of school psychology, both in classes and at my practicum site. Whether I’m dealing with a child in the throes of an asthma attack, cleaning out painting supplies, calling parents, writing a paper, or attempting to track down my supervisor, I am comfortable taking on the task. And I know that if I had not tried a few things along the way, I would still be wondering if I had chosen the right direction. I would surely have gotten somewhere, as the Cheshire Cat so wisely knew, but I am very glad that school psychology is where I ended up. At least for now.