Arizona in December

Posted on December 20,2011 by jgarciamspp

The two hour time difference, the open roads, and the warmer weather -It was 70 degrees on Friday!- all seem somewhat foreign to me now.

***

As my family gathered at the airport to welcome me home they were all decked out in long sleeve shirts, hoodies, and UGGs. I, on the other hand, could not wait to swap my sweater and jeans for a t-shirt and shorts. It was 55 degrees after all!

After collecting my bags I was ready to hustle through the airport and be on my way to my family's house. My family, however, was moving at a somewhat glacial pace; Taking in everything around them and conversing casually amongst themselves. While I had little patience for it in that moment I assumed that I had acted very much the same way when I lived in Arizona. Everyone in Massachusetts always seems to be in a hurry and I have clearly adopted this habit.

However, I was not in my "rush" mode for too long. After some much needed R & R I headed back to my old stomping grounds in Central Phoenix. Despite the industrialization of the area I managed to find a nice spot of desert with a view of the mountains. (Although it is not pictured, directly in front of me is a view of the West Valley. I can see Cardinal Stadium from where I am standing. The stadium is over 30 miles away. Where do you get a view like that in MA?)

I am obviously not wearing a sweater and I certainly could have done with a short sleeve shirt. I am trying to soak it all in while I can because I know that once I return to MA I will be buried under layers of clothing for the next 4 months. Although, I can't really complain too much because I love scarves and hats. :-)