The Final Few Weeks

Posted on November 28,2011 by mmosesmspp

After a restful, fun, and productive Thanksgiving break, I am ready to return to school for the final few weeks of the semester. Now is when reality hits - I actually need to finish that paper for my Narrative Therapy class? How many sources do I need to write an 8-10 page paper? How am I ever going to get everything done?

I have changed my habits - maybe I can attribute it to age? When in college, I was a last-minute paper writer. At MSPP, I quickly learned that getting papers done early minimized the amount of stress I suffered through. That is, if I know a paper is due, I will worry about it the entire month before the due date, or I could get it done and end my worries after a week or two.

One trick that I've found to be very helpful is to at least start papers way in advance of when they are due. Last weekend, I spent several hours working on a paper for the advanced psychodynamic class. I felt like I was floundering, but I finished six pages. I had something - that was enough to decrease the stress. I didn't look at the paper again until this weekend. When I read it over, I realized it wasn't all that bad. It took some tweaking, some deleting, and more writing, but the paper is in pretty good shape. And not due until Dec. 8th.

I'm still working on a paper for narrative, but I hope to finish it during a long break at MSPP on Thursday. Then I'll be done for the semester! Which means...weekends will be spent reading articles for my doc project. Woo hoo. Here's hoping I can be done with that super early as well.