The Promise

Posted on November 15,2011 by jgarciamspp

One of my classmates recently asked me if I was a glutton for (academic) punishment. After I thought about it for a second I figured that it was a real possibility. As if I didn't have enough on my plate already I just added a bit more. If you have read any of my previous blogs you will undoubtedly see that my schedule is pretty packed. Now it is going to be even more packed!

About 2 weeks ago I received an email letting me know that I have been accepted into the Latino Mental Health Program. I was thrilled! I am going to be participating in the certification portion of the program. Even though I do have to take a few extra classes here and there to fulfill the academic requirements the pay off is that I get to travel to Costa Rica and Ecuador as well as become certified to work with the Latino population -a personal and professional goal of mine.

Then... last night I received notification that I have been chosen as the MSPP Campus Representative for the American Psychology and Law Society (AP-LS) conference happening in March. While this appointment does not allow for any extra academic credit it does mean that I have an extra incentive to go to the conference this year... not to mention that the conference is in Puerto Rico!

Puerto Rico

That is quite the incentive isn't it? Not only do I get to serve as a Rep, have my brain pumped full of amazing information and meet all of the giants of the psych/legal field but I also get to enjoy nice weather. (I miss the Arizona sunshine. This seems like a fantastic alternative.)

Although it will be a challenge to manage my schedule (and added responsibilities) I am really looking forward to both opportunities. Not only will they enhance my educational experience at MSPP it will make me a more attractive candidate once I get around to applying for a doctoral program.

I promised myself as I drove away from my home-state that I would go to MSPP and take advantage of every opportunity that came my way. I am certainly keeping that promise... even if it means a little more work. In the end -and even now, I suppose- it will all be worth it.