Totally Tubular in Tamarindo

Posted on August 08,2011 by latinomentalhealth

So I've officially graced the waves with my presence. This past weekend in Tamarindo I rented a surfboard and tried surfing for the first time. I'm sore and tired, but it was a blast to try something new and live outside of my comfort zone. The surfing culture of Tamarindo is very similar to the U.S., with there being some parallels between Costa Rica's "golden" Guanacaste coast and California's "golden" coast. We rented a car and had a great weekend which consisted of beach-hopping up and down the Guanacaste coast, "enjoying" a cheap hostel and crashing a beach wedding at sunset.

All fun aside, we have all been working hard in La Guacima. Every week or so we switch instructors (morning and afternoon) to get exposed to different teaching styles and modalities. I've noticed our Spanish becoming more sophisticated and nuanced and also that we are more apt to converse in Spanish than in English. Homework in the summer is never fun however, whether you have summer reading as a teenager or essays as a graduate student. When combined with daylong classes and living with a host family, all of our work adds up to more competent language.

All I need to do now is learn how to say "cowabunga" or other surfing lingo in Spanish and I'll be set to move down and surf the night away with the ticos (locals).

Ride on man,

~John Pratico