Job Search

Posted on April 25,2011 by sburnsmspp

I have 3 weeks of classes left until I graduate with my M.A. in Mental Health Counseling! Now that my Capstone is out of the way, I can focus all of my attention on securing a job. Luckily, I have been asked on interviews and I have an offer lined up with my current internship site. I am grateful that so many of my professors have been available to me so that I can weigh the pros and cons of different positions with them. I was also able to meet individually with MSPP’s Director of Career Services, Tricia Krzywicki, and she also spoke to my Internship Seminar today about finding a job.

In case you’re wondering what types of jobs you can obtain before you are officially licensed as an LMHC (after you graduate with your M.A., you have to work for approximately 2 years under supervision before becoming eligible for licensure in Massachusetts), here is a list of agencies that were represented at a recent job fair I attended, which was sponsored by the Massachusetts Mental Health Counselor’s Association:

Advocates, Inc.: www.advocatesinc.org

Applied Behavioral Associates, LLC: www.aba4kids.org

Community Healthlink Inc.: http://www.communityhealthlink.org

Eliot Community Human Services: www.eliotchs.org/

Hope Found: www.hopefoundboston.org

Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children: www.mspcc.org

North Suffolk Mental Health Association: www.northsuffolk.org/

Riverside Community Care: http://www.riversidecc.org

Seven Hills Foundation: www.sevenhillsjobs.org/

South Bay Mental Health Center: www.southbaymentalhealth.com/

Stanley Street Treatment and Resources: www.sstar.org/

The Home for Little Wanderers: www.thehome.org

The Triumph Center: www.triumphcenter.net

Volunteers of America: www.voamass.org

Obviously, there are many other types of jobs, such as working at a college or university in their counseling center, as well as a variety of human resources positions or working as a consultant for a corporation. I think that it is helpful to keep an open mind while in graduate school so that you network with many people, including professors, continuing education speakers and attendees, and with people at your practicum and internship, so that you make as many connections as possible. That way, when it’s time for graduation, you’ll have plenty of options open to you!