A Memory, a Monologue, a Rant, and a Prayer

Posted on April 13,2011 by jennymspp

Last week, I had the privilege of taking part in MSPP's annual production of A Memory, a Monologue, a Rant, and a Prayer (MMRP). I read one of ten monologues that night, which all dealt with violence against women and girls around the world. There was a discussion afterward about the issues raised, and a raffle of self-care baskets. The proceeds will go to New Hope, an agency in Attleboro committed to ending domestic and sexual violence.

I thought that performing a monologue about rape would be upsetting for me, but it was actually a very cleansing and empowering experience. One that I would definitely do again. I also enjoyed getting to know some people in other programs who share the same passions for theater and feminism. It was nice to be able to share those passions with the MSPP community, and with friends and family who came to support the performers. At the end of the day, I didn't mind that I had been at school for 12 hours (since I had class all day too)!

My involvement with MMRP has further inspired me to engage in more psycho-theater related endeavors. My next project will be writing a script for a short film that a friend is making (psychology-related, of course)!