Why I Chose MSPP's School Psychology Program

Posted on March 31,2011 by jennymspp

I heard about MSPP from a girl I went to UMass with who worked in the same psychology lab as me. She graduated the year before me and told me when she got accepted to MSPP's forensic psychology program. I had never heard about MSPP before so I checked out the website. I saw that they had a school psychology program there so that really got me interested. The website also listed open house dates when you could visit the school. I made an appointment to attend an Open House event the following fall. When I got there, I was shocked at how small the campus was. It was literally one building (two now). At the open house, we could choose from a handful of different program presentations, school psychology being one of them. I was highly impressed by the openness and honesty of the school psychology faculty members who spoke. I liked the prospect of having small class sizes and greater individual attention. The professors seemed very dedicated in helping students succeed. And we got a great lunch for free! It was a long day but I got a lot of useful information out of it. Particularly from a first year school psychology student who calmed my nerves about living costs. He said students generally borrow extra money to cover daily expenses. But you have to be smart...don't borrow more than what you could possibly need! Oh, and I got a cool MSPP pen too.

From Open House and the school psychology blogs I read, I was convinced of the honesty and integrity of the program. And that is a standard that I have held for myself as well. I realize that some people may not like what I have to say, but I would rather say it the way it is rather than deceive anyone. After all, there is a lot of money on the line.

It took me a couple months to really mull over my decision. As I have stated in the past, I probably waited a bit too long to apply. My excuse is that first semester senior year was the busiest time of my life. When I finally did apply, I was confident in my decision. I did not apply to any other schools, mainly because I did not want to take the GRE. I kind of wish I had at least visited other schools just as a basis for comparison, but I am content with my choice. I have had great experience working in schools while students in other school psychology programs have not had such opportunities. And I have faith that my experiences will be worth the money.