"What women have influenced you?" for Women's History Month

Posted on March 16,2011 by kmorvillomspp

This month for Women’s History we were asked, “What women have influenced you?” So here it goes…

At the age of 13 I found out that my parents were getting a divorce. Soon after, my mother and I made the trek from suburban Virginia to rural upstate New York to be closer to her family. It was hard leaving my father and friends, yet I understood that my mother needed the social support that only her family could provide.

After making the move, I had a difficult time adjusting, but my mom was always there to help me through. She did everything in her power to see that I grew into a strong, independent woman. She was a single mother, working full time, yet she always made time for me.

My mom is a nurse in clinical research; she formerly worked in HIV medicine and currently in Oncology. She taught me the benefits of a positive attitude and a helping hand. It was she that inspired me to go into Psychology- a profession that I knew could be difficult, yet rewarding.

My mother showed me that women are able to balance family, work, and everything that accompanies it with grace. She taught me to rely on myself and supported me in all my endeavors. She never failed to tell me how proud she was or how much she loved me. So when asked,” What woman influenced you?” she’s the first one that comes to mind. Without her, I truly don’t think that I would be the person I am today.