Lucero Memorial 5K Run/Walk

Posted on October 07,2010 by sburnsmspp

On Sunday September 26th I ran the 9th annual 5K Lucero run, which supports MSPP’s Latino Mental Health Program. “This run/walk was created to memorialize Dr. Cynthia Lucero, MSPP alumna, who collapsed from hyponatremia while running the 2002 Boston Marathon, just twelve days before her twenty-eighth birthday. She devoted her life to helping others through her work and community service” (MSPP’s website).

The sun was shining (last year it rained) and the energy from the other participants was very motivating. There was a large turn out, I believe around 150 runners/walkers, plus people there in support. This is a great example of when I write about MSPP being close-knit and caring community.

It was nice to catch up with some of my professors from last year, who I no longer get to see on a weekly basis. It was also great to see them with their families and everyone just seemed to be in a chipper mood. The run/walk was accommodating for people of all different fitness levels, and was mostly an opportunity to get some exercise for a good cause.

The run/walk is about 3 miles and starts at MSPP and winds around Millennium Park, which is a beautiful park with playing fields and some nice nature areas, that is adjacent to the school. I was proud of myself because I finished three minutes faster than I did last year!

After runners finished they cheered for everyone as they passed over the finish line. There was also a BBQ after the race that kept everyone around for a couple of hours to socialize and eat good food. It was a great opportunity to meet new people in different programs as well. Overall, it was a fun and successful event. If you decide to attend MSPP next year, this is an experience that I would not want to miss!