Advanced Standing ( What Is It?)

Posted on September 25,2010 by jyalofmspp

As mentioned in my bio, I am an advanced standing student, which also presents another dynamic to my life at MSPP. If you are awarded advanced standing, this means that you completed course work in a master’s program in psychology (or similarly related field) and your credits successfully transfer into the MSPP program of your choice. This would be a good time to speak on the benefits and hindrances of being an Advanced Standing Student:

Pros:

• My Clinical Seminar II class seems appropriate to my level of experience, as I’ve already had a full year of internship when I was completing my master’s degree.
  • I don’t have to re-take statistics ( amazing!) among some other classes that I took recently.
  • I am able to dive into my internship and see clients immediately ( in some other PysD programs I looked into that did not have advanced standing, all first years did not have internship or practicum, but rather spent a year answering phone intakes).
  • I am learning more about the theories I kind of learned about before in my master’s program but were not explored in depth.
  • I can potentially graduate early(!!!)

Cons:

• I am entering a class that has already had a year to get to know each other, form groups, etc.
  • Psych. Assessment did not transfer ( actually not too let down about this one, as administering one WAIS-IV to my roommate last year hardly qualifies me to be a decent test administrator).
  • Word on the street is that being in advanced standing can get a bit confusing each semester when it comes time for registration. A sacrifice I am willing to take so long as I never have to look at another statistics book.
  • Not necessarily a con, but make sure you explain what advanced standing means to potential supervisors at your potential practicum sites if you potentially apply to this program. I had a few that thought advanced standing meant “ gifted.” Not quite!

I can keep this list updated as the semester progresses.