Baby Got BARCC!... 2013 BARCC Walk for Change!

Posted on April 08,2013 by sdmosaligantimspp

With my best peeps at the BARCC walk. :)

Boston is a big-time "walk" city. You'll be moseying down the street - minding your bidness - and all of a sudden, you'll find yourself walking in a "walk" - I've accidentally supported all sorts of causes.

And yesterday Boston hosted two major walks: the MS walk, which one of my roommates attended, and the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center Walk for Change. Although I was bummed that I wouldn't be able to support my roomie in the MS walk, I attended, as a BARCC volunteer, the Walk for Change and had an amazing time!

This year's walk was particularly exciting for me as I was accompanied by my partner and some of my closest friends. Also, many people from my MSPP practicum site attended as "Team Wheelock," including the director of the counseling center and my fellow intern Emily. And of course, I ran into many of my fellow BARCC workers.

It was a beautiful, sunny day, although it was a little cold. (Honestly, given my adrenaline rush and hyper-stimulation, I didn't even realize how cold it was until I reached to grab something out of my pocket and realized that I had lost all fine motor skills) The walk started in Cambridge and wrapped around the Charles River, where the MIT crew team was practicing and behind which Back Bay stretched. It felt amazing to wind our fervor and support for this cause throughout this beautiful city.

Whether it's to support a cure for MS, the end to sexual violence, a cure for breast cancer, or Boston (ahem, Freedom Trail is the walk to end all walks), participating in a walk is a great way to explore and appreciate the city and support a fabulous cause. See ya out there. :)