Field Project Update

Posted on March 13,2013 by jackieqmspp

Two months ago, I first mentioned my HESPA field project to you guys. I've researched Residence Life programming at various 4-year institutions and next, I'll be diving into the programming that Monroe Community College is currently doing, taking the time to meet with Residence Life staff, talk to students, etc. I'm really focusing on what students want and need out of living on campus and how we, as Student Affairs staff, can meet those needs.

This is where the good stuff is starting to happen. I'm perfectly adequate at research; I can Google with the best of them, read articles until my eyes are on fire, and lately, I've been using MSPP's online library like a mad man. However, I am a people person through and through. I learn best when I'm interacting with other people, asking them questions and spending time with them. I've started going to MCC's campus more frequently, meeting with staff to ask them what they think about the current programming. There's so much that can happen in these meetings that wouldn't be able to happen through e-mails and Google searches. There's real conversation and body language to go off of and professional relationships being formed.

I feel like I'm really starting to get into the heart of my project, and it just feels so good. I finally feel like I'm making progress on this, and that just maybe, it'll actually make a difference in the lives of future MCC students. Or resident community students nation wide, for that matter. It's an interesting position to be in, earning my Master's degree and trying to find a job, all while I'm figuring out what I want my career to look like, but this field project is helping. I'm thankful for the opportunity to explore that and to find that reassurance that this career really is what I want for myself.