The Documentation Blues and a little goal-setting to start the semester off right

Posted on January 08,2013 by abrigovmspp

It's no surprise that human beings don't love paper work. It can be monotonous and an altogether sleepy task. I did a wise thing before break: I made sure not to schedule a single client on my first day back to internship. Why? Because it's documentation month, of course! At the community mental health agency where I work, we all try to follow a similar schedule in getting treatment plans updated. Since I knew that was going to be upcoming, there would surely be other things to get squared away before hunkering down to figure out the plan of action for each client for the next 3 months. As I grumbled about my rather large to-do list that was clearly winning the staring contest, another clinician popped in for a visit. She had some information regarding a client that was a pretty big deal. Just then she said, "We are going to have to be very careful in our documentation. I feel like the judge might subpoena our notes." Yikes! Talk about motivation to cross the t's and dot the i's!

About that goal- To graduate, I must complete a 40-50-page Capstone project in which I am the expert on some topic of my choosing and must present to a whole bunch of people. As this topic is not exactly clear yet, you’ll have to wait for more details. Last night in class, however, I set the goal of completing 1 article annotation by tomorrow (Wednesday) night in order to not wait until Sunday to start all 5. A classmate matched my goal and another raised it by 1. This is going to be an interesting semester but I am determined to not allow those 20+ articles to bowl me over!