Facing the Facts

Posted on December 17,2012 by abrigovmspp

Tonight my mom asked me, "So just how much do you really know about what happened in Connecticut?" I admitted to her that really I didn't know too many details because I kind of tried not to find out. After telling me about a lot of what there was to know, she paused and reflected, "Can you imagine what it must've been like for those First Responders?" I felt like she wanted me to give her some kind of answer, like a tangible reason for why and how such tragedies can occur. Obviously there was nothing particularly comforting that I could say to my mom in that moment, but then I remembered something from my consultation and collaboration class from just a couple of weeks ago. I found out that there are debriefing processes that can take place within a few days of a tragic event. A trained person would facilitate this critical incident stress debriefing to help individuals process their experiences and feelings surrounding the event. I tried to explain this idea as best I could. As I said those words, it occurred to me that some day that may actually be one of my responsibilities as a clinician in the field. As much as I wanted to shield myself from knowing some of the details of Friday, it seems necessary to find a way to become informed about the harder-to-process events of the world. As graduation approaches, I realize just how many skills the counseling program is equipping me with to be able to face day-to-day challenges, not just as a clinician but as a member of society. I feel that when the school releases me out into what I call the "real world" it will be time to fulfill my responsibilities of service and dedication to whatever community I live in... even if it means pushing myself to purposely know what is happening in the world around me.