Then the next day...

Posted on October 31,2012 by abrigovmspp

Much to my surprise, the power only flickered on and off several times throughout the day yesterday. The food that was prepared in anticipation of a power failure has suddenly become a convenience item for the rest of the week. This is completely okay by Valerie standards. The truth is: I was terrified of being in my apartment alone throughout the winds and rain. Consequently, after 3 hours of obsessively staring at weather updates on the television, I shut it all down. A good game of 20 questions on the telephone helped to ease my mind. Soon I was able to relax from the stress and excitement of the day's unpredictability and get some rest, anticipating a return to normal routine.

This morning I called my internship site director around 8:30am. I suspect the early-morning ring was more of an unwelcome wake up call than an eager intern just trying to get some information. Nonetheless, she informed me that my site would have a 1-hour delayed opening and would I mind letting the other interns know? Of course. No problem! See you later. If I had known just how long my day would be, I would not have gone in until 12pm! After arriving to the office just after 10am, I found myself swamped in to-do's that carried over from last week. My mom was visiting for a few days and in an eager rush to get home to spend time with her, I made a list and left it for this week. Thankfully my morning, and a better part of my afternoon, was wide open and somehow I completed 3 treatment plans, 2 progress notes, consulted with two clinicians on a couple of cases, made several re-scheduling phone calls for the receptionist and generally got organized. There was also an individual session as well as a planning session to facilitate a substance abuse group for second offenders in the mix. Number of hours clocked in at internship today: 10. Collective value of all of the things I learned and accomplished in one day back at the office: Priceless.