I Miss Bread!

Posted on March 10,2012 by jgarciamspp

When I first learned that I would have to give up something for my Substance Abuse class -for a course-length assignment- I felt frustrated. Interestingly enough, my frustration was not based on the fact that I found it inconvenient or annoying to have to give up something I love doing (or just do naturally); I was frustrated because I struggled with finding something that I could give up.

I am not a coffee drinker. I probably have 3 sips of soda a year. I don't smoke. I don't bite my finger nails. I don't crave sweets. I don't really watch TV. The list goes on...

Then I thought of my father. He gives up bread every year for Lent. I always found his seasonal asceticism to be slightly horrifying because I was always confronted with my own unwillingness (or weakness) to give up something I constantly craved! My response was always: "I love carbs! There is no way I could go on a no- or low-carb diet! And I could NEVER give up bread!"

Well... BINGO! I decided that I would (begrudgingly) give up bread for my class.

However, I have set some rules about what kinds of bread I will give up. Since I do not think it would be helpful to my health to give up ALL types of bread, I will qualify what I do and do not eat. Essentially, I am giving up "excess" bread. No more toast, rolls, subs/sandwich bread, pizza crust, fry bread/funnel cake, pastries. I will continue to eat things like croutons and tortillas. In my mind, I don't crave those types of flour products. The others I listed are the bane of my existence. I want them... But I hate looking in the mirror to see the damage they have done to my weight/figure.

On the bright side: I am now more than 48 hours without excess bread and when I woke up this morning I felt so good. I felt like I was not puffy and full of unnecessary “stuff” in my body. I even went right for the cereal as opposed to toast when I got up. Even though it sounds silly, I was pretty proud of me. I hope I can keep this up. I know it will be tough with my upcoming trip to Puerto Rico, but I have a feeling I can make it work. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

(Farewell, delicious bread! I shall miss thee!)