Gabrielle Giffords Steps Down

Posted on January 22,2012 by jgarciamspp

I love you, Gabby! You are an amazing woman and you continue to inspire me everyday.

http://youtu.be/Nguu0TkCTd4

###

Just as an interesting aside, I would like to bring up something about my own path in relation to the Gabby Giffords case...

I often feel like I have to defend my reasons for choosing to become a forensic psychologist. My friends and family cannot bring themselves to understand why I would want to sit around and talk to psychopaths or pedophiles all day -as if that is all I will ever do. Everyone always asks me -as if to dissuade me from becoming a forensic psychologist- : "How could you defend, look at, or give treatment to someone like Jared Loughner after what he did to Gabby?!"

First of all, I wouldn't be able to treat Mr. Loughner. My political relationship/personal ties to Gabby/the case make me the least desirable candidate as a treatment provider for Mr. Loughner. Simply put, it would be a conflict of interest. Although, to pacify my friends, I tell them that if I had no personal interest in the case or those involved I certainly would be able to take him on as a patient. It is not my job to agree with what he did and love him unconditionally. My job is to make sure that I do the best I can in treating my client. Clearly, what he did is repulsive, horrifying... whatever other drastic adjective you want to throw in there. However, he is still a human being. If I were horribly sick (with a mental or physical disorder) I would want someone to help me. Wouldn't you?