First Day at Practicum

Posted on September 14,2011 by spitchermspp

So today was the first day of orientation at my practicum. At first I was afraid I would fall behind in the training since the orientation started Monday; but, I quickly fell into line with what was being discussed and I was getting really excited to start working with the kids.

I found out yesterday that I was going to be working at Alliance for Inclusion and Prevention (AIP) at a middle school in Boston. The population is very diverse, especially in my perspective since in Idaho there isn't a lot of diversity as far as races, ethnicity, or cultures go. Today, my fellow interns and staff discussed what this year will hold and what we will be doing in detail. I will be doing individual therapy, group therapy, and co-leading groups. I also will be involved in the kids' family dynamics and community systems. I came up with the idea of doing an activity involving comics, anime, or story telling. I am working now with trying out a program and curriculum for that time with my kids. I think that this will be a great activity for the males at the school, especially since most of the other activities seemed more geared towards females. It will be exciting to see how the kids will take this activity that sign up for it. I want to use it to discuss family systems, safe homes and individuals in life, and also to talk about their life experiences so far through the use of story telling. I hope the kids that I work with will be as excited to partake in this project as I am!